Wednesday, May 5, 2010

New York Times says more authors doing what I'm doing

Yes, the New York Times has confirmed that my method of publishing books is now more popular than ever. The NYT says more than three-quarters of a million books were published by 'microniche' publishers in 2009; by comparison, Random House published less than a third of that number.

I agree with the idea that using a microniche publisher, as I do, makes it possible and easy to get stories into print (and onto eReader screens). In fact, I use Lulu to get my books into print, and Smashwords to get my books onto screens. It's a great combination. I've now published eight fiction titles in the Adult Drama and Young Adult genres, and I was pleasantly shocked when one of my books spent some time at the top of the Smashwords best sellers list.

I write for myself and not necessarily to sell, but the notion that thousands of copies of my books are now in the hands of readers heartens me. I hope what I've written brings happiness to at least a few readers, but this could never happen in the old, traditional publishing model.

If you're interested, read the full New York Times article as it appeared in the Sunday Magazine on May 2, 2010.

Writing is now a grand adventure!

Wil

No comments:

Post a Comment