Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Novel in a Month? Yes, says Huff Post: Me and NaNoWriMo

Who actually writes a Novel in a Month?  Well, according to Huff Post, I do.


So, I will now admit that I’m trying to write a Novel in a Month.  Okay, actually, I’m one of seven writers profiled on The Huffington Post about writing a 50,000 word Novel in a Month, so I guess the secret is out.

Why, you ask?  What’s my personal motivation?  Hmmm…

I really need to get moving on the second book of my Prince David series.  It's about a contemporary young prince who, with the help of a small group of boys and girls, confounds the adults around him, deals with a dysfunctional family, helps others, and gets involved in challenging and diverse adventures around the world.   The first book, Prince David, Book 1: Enter the Heir is done and being edited, and the second book of the five-book series awaits.  


I really like the characters I've created, and I've got a lot of action already planned for the remaining four books, but now I need to sort out what will be in Prince David, Book 2: High Adventure.  I've been slow to work on the planning of the series so far, and being part of this NaNoWriMo will force me to get moving on this and get it done!  I know I can do it if I just keep going and don’t get distracted.  If you want to track my word count, there’s a link on the left side of the page, or click here.

How helpful is NaNoWriMo?

First off, the long title is National Novel Writing Month. As to the usefulness of NaNoWriMo?  Apparently many writers across America and around the world want try it, and many succeed.  It’s a good way of setting out time to make the writing happen, and there is a lot of support among writers, on the NaNoWriMo site and other places such as #NaNoWriMo on Twitter.  In fact, over the last few years, many very good books have been written in a short time, according to the Huff Post story that includes me.  Some have been best sellers.  

As for me, back in 2008, before I started publishing any of my work, I tried out NaNoWriMo for the first time.  The result, after a great deal of editing and worry, is A Family Legacy: The Watson Works.  It now sits in a sales rank of the top 1% at Barnes and Noble.

Will I make it?

Will I make the 50,000 words of NaNoWriMo this year?  I'll update this blog at the end of  this month.  In the meantime, follow the progress of National Novel Writing Month at Huff Post, or my tweets, or track my word count by clicking here.


No comments:

Post a Comment