Friday, November 11, 2011

NaNoWriMo + me + 6 authors = HuffPost Books story


I had not intended to write another post during this National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).  However, there have been some comments by the other six authors who share in the spotlight of the HuffPost story about writing for NaNoWriMo, and I wanted to recognize their words and highlight the importance of their opinions.  In particular, I’d like to mention the words of the youngest of us seven writers, 11-year-old Connor, who writes about wanting to actually finish writing a book for once.

I have the utmost respect for anyone who undertakes the challenge of creating a novel and who finds the time to write.  I feel very fortunate that I’ve been able enjoy the process and experience of writing over the last few years.  Sure, I wish I could devote even more time to writing, but I think that wish would apply to most writers. 

I wholeheartedly agree with Connor’s statement that it’s not the 50,000 words that matters; what matters is to actually finish writing a book. 

It’s not enough just to write.  Whatever we write must mean something, at least to ourselves.  This NaNoWriMo should not be just about producing 50,000 words, but instead should be about using this opportunity of writing fellowship to really create something to be proud of.  We should all be grateful to those who complete a work and to those who try.  It is only by encouraging writers and other creative artists that our lives are enriched by the fruits of their labor.  I say ‘well done, to all those taking part in NaNoWriMo,’ and ‘thank you’ to those who appreciate their work.

Finally, I will close this post by thanking those who have taken the time to look at this blog, and express my appreciation to those who have read my books.  Knowing that my books have been found by so many is at once a humbling feeling and an exciting experience.

Happy reading, and happy writing,

Wil  

No comments:

Post a Comment