Monday, December 22, 2014

News Stories: Making it personal

We often become jaded by some of what we read about what is going on in the world around us. It is not often that we get some personal insight into how some of today’s tragic events affect those involved.

I read with great empathy and sadness the recent Facebook posts of 13-year-old Jaden Ramos, whose ‘best father in the world’ was one of the two NYPD cops killed in cold blood last week as they sat in their patrol car. As Jaden puts it, many say they hate cops, but “they are the ones we call when we need help.” When you read the post that Jaden made on December 9th, for his father’s birthday, the totality of the heartbreak is compounded.


In my writing, I have often been inspired by real events as the basis for my fiction. In this case, and particularly given the holiday season, I wish with all my heart that I could write some fiction that could change the tragic events that have affected Jaden Ramos and his family. Alas, I can sadly only add my voice to those expressing condolences.

Wil

No comments:

Post a Comment